Absolutely Incredible

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Embracing your shame

OK, this needs to be quick cos I need to be studying.
Little background - My first child, we'll call her Babe, (she grew up with her other mother) and Babe says when she ran around without her clothes as a kid, her mama would tell her to "cover her shame" (I think that's how the story goes, or at least that's my version) ...that's the background.

Now I find this rather interesting, the idea of "covering ur shame" being equivalent to "covering ur nakedness" ...and of course as we've grown up, we've all learned to cover our shame ...to not expose ourselves ...yes ppl I know u all go out fully clothed (well, most of u) ...but beyond covering our bodies, we've learned to hide our inadequacies ...and present ourselves to the world as pretty close to perfect.

Now Babe learned something while growing up that I didn't learn ...I do wear clothes everyday, but Babe learned that while she had to cover her body which she does most days, she doesn't HAVE to hide her inadequacies. But lemme speak in plain English ...
For instance, I pride meself on many things ...I'm FINE, I don't need anything from anybody, God provides my needs and I'm sufficient, I'll be ok regardless of what happens or doesn't happen ...I am a strong, black woman :) ...and I can do all things thru Christ.

However, while I AM strong and 'independent' ... sometimes I'm not SO independent ... sometimes I need help and I make highly questionable decisions, sometimes I'm lonely ... and sometimes I'm just plain unreasonable. And I (in the past) have refused to admit to myself that I don't have it together. That beyond simply WANTING some ppl in my life, I also NEED them ...that I'm in love with some guy and that's just the way it is (I roll my eyes at the whole 'in love' idea, but I've thot this out).

For my friend, we'll call her Stewart ...it apparenty kills her when she's not in control and she doesn't have everything down ...sometimes she has to say ... I don't know, I just don't know altho I shd (I'm still tryna understand Stewart).

Anyhu (not sure how much sense this is making), Stewart and I have been admitting to ourselves that we're more like Babe than we acknowledge; that we have sides that we'd rather not tell anybody abt :) We're not that strong, that smart, that 'good' ...HOWEVER we're learning that them sides that we don't like are totally OK ...
it's ok that sometimes I'm in a bad mood for no reason whatsoever
it's ok that I'm tripping abt some guy and only God knows what he thinks
it's ok that I have a test and I sit and watch a Nign movie (is that really ok?)
it's ok that I'm human - not perfect, not an island
it's ok that I need other ppl (yeah,yeah ...stop talking abt me, u got ur own issues)
it's ok that I'm not (how much of my nakedness am I willing to share wit y'all? hehe ...I'm still in the process)
It's ok to embrace my shame ...my less-than-perfectness
b/c it's a part of who I am
and I like me ....all of me, not just some of me
Now go embrace ur shame

2 Comments:

  • At 9:25 AM, Blogger Linkachild Admin said…

    ...It ok to be you just as you are.
    Embrace the "process" not the shame.

    ...we all fall sometimes, it's the ability to dust ourselves off
    stand and get back in the race, now that is were the power and the courage is.

     
  • At 5:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Its ok.
    Its ok to admit is its ok.
    Its ok....
    Its ok.....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home